Thursday, July 10, 2014

What Clothes to Pack for College


College is a time to develop and grow. One of those ways is with your style. While I give you this list, shape it to your personal style! This list is just a guideline. Take what you find comfortable and wear it! Your closet isn’t going to be that big, so take what you want to bring, and cut that much in half! Bring what you know you’ll wear! Don’t bring that shirt that you never wore in high school but might wear someday. You won’t wear it.
My style changed each day. My nursing specific classes were on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and my GenEd classes were on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays. So for my GenEd classes, I wore a t-shirt and jeans or even t-shirt and leggings. But for classes with my nursing professors I wore jeans and a nice sweater. I would even do my make-up and hair.
The way you dress gives an impression to your professors. While my GenEd professors would be very helpful for schoolwork, my nursing professors are the ones that will be seeing me more often as a student and as a prospective nurse. If I dressed well, I would give off an appearance of having my life together, so if they want to recruit students for an internship or research, I could be more desired than a classmate who looks like she doesn't care because she rolled out of bed before class. Now your grades have to show that your appearance isn't just an illusion, and you have to get to know them, but the way you dress will help you a lot!

Pack:
  • 2 pairs of PJs 
  • Underwear Galore! Socks galore! Bras Galore! (You can never have too much underwear)
  • Winter coat, 2 pairs of gloves, scarf, winter hat/earmuffs, snow boots.
  • Bottoms:
    • 1 pair of dress pants
    • `3 pairs of jeans
    • 2 pairs of shorts
    • Leggings
    • Skirts
  •  Tops:
    • 3 Blouses
    • 3 T-shirts
    • 3 Sweaters
    • 3 Cardigans
    • 2 Long Sleeved Shirts
    • Camis
    • Denim Button Down
    • Blazer
    • 2 Sweatshirts
    • Jean Jacket
    • Leather jacket
  • Dresses
    • 1-2 sundresses
    • Semi-formal dress
    • Professional dress (for church, presentations, or job interviews)
  • Workout clothes – if you work out, you know what you’ll wear!
  • Belts, Scarves
  • Bathing suit
  • Shoes: Flats, converse, sneakers, work out shoes, toms, heels, boots, flip flops.
  • Small purse
  • Wallet
  • Something to make into a costume (80s with neon leggings & cut off sweatshirt; black dress with cat ears, jersey with eye liner to be a football/soccer player)
  • 2 or so cute but cheap shirts to get paint, sharpie, and anything else on. (Wet Seal’s 5/$20 sale is awesome for this)

A lot of people I know (that includes me) brought too many clothes or shoes to school! I really only wore about 1 pair of flats, my converse, 2 pairs of boots, rain boots and snow shoes. I used my heels a couple of times. In total, I brought triple the amount of shoes I wore. I did NOT need all of that. I also accumulated a t-shirts and went shopping a couple times so I left school with a lot more clothes than I came with. Limit your clothes to mainly your favorite clothes. You know you'll wear them & you'll have room for it all.

For a full packing list, check out my packing list post!

7/10/14

No comments:

Post a Comment